11.16.2011

Broccoli Pesto


Yup, you read the title correctly.  Broccoli. Pesto. Now I know right now your head is spinning with questions like, "What does it taste like?" "Can I have that if I'm on a diet?" and the answers are a resounding "awesome," and "Duh."

Let me begin by saying my Granny is the most healthy woman on the planet.  I'm serious.  She goes for long walks every day, only eats sugar once a day, and can do really cool things like make her own berry sauce for pancakes (of course in lieu of maple syrup).  In short, she's amazing and you wish you knew her.  This recipe, right here, is not only Granny approved, it is Granny given.  Like regular pesto, it makes a fantastic sauce for pasta with it's "green" flavor, but contains less than a quarter of the fat!

Also, if you were concerned about it tasting too "healthy," know that I am not exaggerating when I say I have literally never served it without being asked for the recipe.




Broccoli Pesto
1 lb broccoli (about 7 cups)
3 cloves Garlic
1/2 C grated parmesan
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp oriental sesame oil
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz rotini
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tomato finely chopped

1) Cook the broccoli and garlic together for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
2) Combine the broccoli, garlic, cheese, olive oil, sesame oil. and salt in a food processor and pulse until the mixture reaches the desired texture.
3) Boil rotini for the amount of time listed on the package and drain.
4) Return to the cooking pot and toss with 2 tbsp rice vinegar
5) Add the pesto, stirring to combine, and serve garnished with tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment