6.14.2012

Simple Turkey Avocado Wraps


Working in Cancer research at a major hospital, every day I'm literally smacked in the face with more data to support that almost every chronic disease, to some degree, is preventable.  It is natural then that maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and avoiding all these horrible conditions, is generally in the forefront of my mind.  I eat well, go to the gym often, and (this is the hardest part when you're in grad school) try to sleep enough every night.  

With summer in mind, my boyfriend Pat and I have decided to kick up our normal routine to a super-healthy-super-human zone in order to wiggle into those beach bodies everyone is so obsessed with.  We're making all of our own food (as opposed to eating Starbucks every morning), which ensures we know exactly what's in there, and can eat more nutritious meals for fewer calories and dollar bills.  This past Sunday we went to the gym early and then did a massive amount of grocery shopping.  By the time we got back to my apartment we were starving.  To start the week off on a good note, I threw together these simple turkey wraps which were summery, tasty, and just right to get us in the spirit of the healthy week ahead.



Turkey-Avocado Wraps
(makes 2)
2 Whole Grain 10 in tortillas
1/4 of a ripe avocado 
1/2 lb honey roasted turkey
1/4 lb thin cut cheddar cheese
8 Cucumber slices
3 C arugula

1) Using a butter knife, squish and spread the avocado in a line down the middle of each wrap (the more perfectly ripe the avocado, the easier this will be)
2) Layer 2 slices of cheddar cheese evenly on top of the avocado
3) Evenly divide the turkey over the cheese (about 4 slices per wrap)
4) Layer on 4 slices of cucumber per wrap, and top with arugula
5) Roll up and eat!

1 comment:

  1. Simple, yet perfect. The main reason I don't make sandwiches is that I can't stand most bread, except my own homemade ciabatta and Klinger's Garlic Parm (and it HAS to be toasted.) Thank for reminding me of the simple goodness of tortillas. Have you ever tried making your own? Love you!!! Bye

    ReplyDelete