6.06.2012

Sloppy Joes



I think we all remember that scene in "It Takes Two" where Mary-Kate shows the world the correct way to eat a sloppy Joe.
...No? Just me? Why aren't you all huge Mary-Kate and Ashley fans?????
Suffice to say, girlfriend knew how it was DONE when she was 9.

Just to be clear, the way it is "done" is pretty much to just smash the sandwich into your face, getting meat and sauce everywhere.  Thoroughly enjoy the sticky, gooey mess and red stained cheeks that result.

In case you haven't noticed yet, I'm not big on red meat, so when I started craving the sloppiest possible meal last week I decided to come up with a leaner turkey alternative.  I seriously modified a beef recipe I found on allrecipes.com, and I couldn't be happier with the results!  This sloppy joe is just as it should be: simple, no frills, delicious, comfort food.




Sloppy Joe's
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 a Small Onion, chopped
1/3 C Green Bell Pepper, chopped
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Yellow Mustard
3/4 C Ketchup
1 tsp Vinegar
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Hamburger Buns

1) Saute the onions and green bell pepper in a large skillet until onions are translucent.
2) Add the ground turkey and cook until just browned
3) Add all other ingredients, mix, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
4) Season with salt and pepper and serve on a hamburger bun

No comments:

Post a Comment