8.21.2013

Easy Guacamole


I have to tell you a story about the time I studied abroad in Mexico.  It was a hot September afternoon, and my friends and I decided to take a side trip to see the Aztec ruins.  We'd been touristing all day, and I was tired, sweaty, and in need of a break.  I told my friends to carry on without me, and sat down on a shady patch of grass to drink some water and relax.  A few minutes later, a fellow tourist came and sat next to me.  He was a handsome man in his mid 40s with salt and pepper hair and a mustache to put all the hipsters in Brooklyn to shame.


Want some sunscreen?  He offered me the bottle he was slathering on his nose.
No, thanks! I actually reapplied a few minutes ago.
Ah, good.  I just figured we gringo's have to stick together! He chuckled to himself.


The two of us sat and chatted in this shady patch of grass.  His name was Paul, and he was an actor back in the states. We talked about movies and cars and, eventually, we began to talk about food.  I learned that Paul, in addition to his other talents, was somewhat of a chef.


I make a lot of sauces, he said, my marinara is pretty famous, but I also really like making salsas, salad dressings, you know, stuff like that.
Oh ya? I'd love to try them sometime! I've been struggling to come up with a salsa recipe for a while.
Well that's the secret to great guacamole you know.  To make great guacamole you have to make great salsa.



And then, my friends, he gifted me with the most amazing guacamole recipe of all time.  The secret, is in the salsa.

-Recipe after the jump-

I know it sounds lame, but you gotta use Newman's Salsa!


Just stick 1/4 cup of that goodness on 2 avocados, mash, and I *promise* everyone will ask you for the recipe.


Guacamole
2 Avocado's
1/4 C Newman's Own Salsa

1) Remove avocado from the peel and place in a bowl
2) Add salsa
3) Mash
4) Serve

It's that easy. Straight from Paul Newman himself.*


*This is not a true depiction of actual events. I've never met Paul Newman. I've also never been to Mexico.  This story just sounds way cooler than "It's how my dad makes it"

No comments:

Post a Comment