Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Linguine with Clam Sauce
By the end of Christmas shopping, it seems everyone is feeling a little broke. Christmas gifts, cookies, decorations, and the salvation army man outside the grocery store have made off with pretty much every spare dollar in your wallet. So what's a girl to do when she's hungry and wants to celebrate the end of the semester?
Last night I was faced with just such a dilemma as Laura, one of my best friends in the whole entire world, came over for dinner. I decided to whip up a simple clam sauce with linguine which was easy, comforting, delicious, and possibly best of all, only $9 to the feed the two of us INCLUDING wine (heyooo thanks trader joe's!!).
1/2 lb linguine
2 tbsp olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
4 tbsp Butter
2 cans minced clams
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 C white wine
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook linguine per package instructions
2) Combine onions, garlic, and olive oil in a saute pan and saute until onions are translucent.
3) Drain juice from clams into a bowl, add about half to the onions along with wine, butter, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by about 1/4 and thickened slightly.
4) Add clams and red pepper flakes, and continue to simmer for a few minutes.
5) toss linguine with sauce, and serve with parmesan cheese