9.05.2013

Watermelon Salad


There’s just something about watermelon that is straight up fun.  Maybe it’s because you never feel like a grown up when you eat it.  If you give me a slice of watermelon, I'm 6 years old again. It is by far the best way to escape lame adult conversation that’s happening over post-dinner coffee (Sticky watermelon hands? Please do NOT bring those near my shirt!), and made for some fantastic contests with my sister Meg.  Our favorites were probably the official “Who can spit a watermelon seed the furthest” (always her), and the unofficial “Who can accidentally get the messiest while eating” (me by a landslide).  As a 25 year old, I’m supposed to care about things like “staying clean” and “not eating with my fingers,” so today I have a watermelon salad recipe that you can eat with a fork.  I know it sounds a little crazy to mix red onion, feta, and watermelon, but trust me, even with all those sophisticated flavor profiles your inner kindergartner will still be pleased.

…and if you eat it with your fingers I won’t tell Mom and Dad.

Watermelon Salad
1 Medium Watermelon, cubed or balled
1/2 Red onion, thinly sliced
2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves, chiffonade
1 C sliced black olives
Juice from 1 lime
3oz crumbled feta
2 tbsp olive oil
Ground black pepper to taste

1) Mix it all together and do a little dance because your salad is so yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment