1.26.2012

Roasted Red Pepper Soup


You know when you're little and you get a new barbie or other toy and find reasons to bring her out and play with her EVERYWHERE (um, hello Barbie needs to pee too!)? Well I'm currently feeling that way about my newest food toy, this Immersion Blender.  It was a Christmas gift from my boyfriend's parents, and while I can't bring it to work with me or cuddle with it while I nap like when I was little (ok, maybe I do cuddle with it), I'm constantly formulating recipes in my head that somehow include blending.  It's actually pretty remarkable how much you can blend if you really put your mind to it.  Smoothies? blended. Soups? blended. Salad dressing? No whisk needed! Homemade salsa? Did someone say chopper attachment!
I've been blending up a STORM!!!
So here is a thoroughly blend-able recipe with just enough spice to keep you full and toasty even though it tips in at only about 95 calories a cup.  Don't have an immersion blender? GET ONE!!! Just kidding you don't have to, you can also use a regular blender and it'll work just fine!

I also just wanted to tell you all how much I absolutely LOVE hearing you made my recipes, and I LOVE seeing photos of the stuff you made, and I LOVE LOVE hearing you told your friends to make it, and I basically I just LOVE LOVE LOVE you all so much!!!  There is absolutely nothing that can brighten my day more!!



Roasted Red Pepper Soup
2 red bell peppers
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 C chopped onion
1/4 C finely chopped scallions
2 garlic cloves
1/2 C chopped celery
1/2 C sliced carrot
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1 (14-oz) can chicken broth
1 (14-oz) can beef broth
Garnish:
Sour cream
Chopped fresh chives

1) Preheat a broiler
2) Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes

3) Place pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet, flatten peppers with the palm of your hand

4) Broil 15 minutes or until skin looks blackened, be careful not to burn them! Place in a zip lock bag and seal, let stand 10 minutes.

5) Peal and coarsely chop (don't they kind of look like gigantic tongues?? Sorry if that made you not want to eat them....)

6) Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, shallots, red bell pepper, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until onions are translucent

7)Add tomato paste, and the next six ingredients (through beef broth); bring to a boil

8) Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes
9) Remove pan from heat and let stand 5 minutes
10) Using an immersion blender, blend the soup mixture until smooth; if using a blender, place half of mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, pour into a large bowl, and repeat with the other half
11) top with sour cream and chives

*This is not "my" recipe and I would love to give credit to whoever wrote it....but I honestly dont' know.  I just found it sitting in a book I have at home, so if it's you.....tell me!

1 comment:

  1. I love love love my immersion blender too!! I'll definitely have to try this. :-)

    ReplyDelete